The XR Association and members of the XRA Policy Committee developed a list of six basic beliefs that should undergird the XR industry’s approach to data privacy and security:
- Privacy by design is the goal.
- You should understand the technology you are using.
- You control what data you share.
- Privacy policies should be clear.
- Bystanders have a right to privacy, too.
- Children are a collective responsibility.
The initiative represents only one of a series of XRA-led efforts to address the unique privacy challenges XR technology implies. Earlier in 2022, XRA launched the Future of XR Advisory Council (XRAC) – an interdisciplinary group of outside advisors – to consider some of the toughest issues facing XR including Privacy. Of course, not every question has a simple answer, and the Council’s rigorous work is ongoing. But one thing is certain: user privacy is paramount to the XR industry.